It all started with a Food4Kids Hamilton t-shirt that said “Together we can beet childhood hunger” with an image of a beet instead of the word “beat”.
On February 12, 2021, the Hamilton Professional Fire Fighters Association (HPFFA) – Local 288, launched the #eatAbeet social media challenge to help raise funds & awareness for Food4Kids Hamilton (and to “beet” childhood hunger in the City). The #eatAbeet campaign challenged Hamiltonians to eat a beet (raw, cooked, pickled, canned, juiced…it didn’t matter), post a video or photo to social media, donate $25 (or whatever they could) to Food4Kids Hamilton and challenge other people in the community.
As of March 12, 2021, the campaign came to a close having raised $32, 610.00 and received incredible exposure throughout the City thanks to positive support from our friends in the media and on many social media platforms. This fundraiser, supported by our good friends and #eatAbeet sponsor at Tandia Financial Credit Union, surpassed our goals and couldn’t have been accomplished without the creativity and fun from all who participated.
Visit the official Food4Kids Hamilton #eatAbeet web page to see some great photos and videos from 2021. https://www.food4kidshamilton.ca/eatabeet
#eatAbeet 2022 – The BEET rolls on!
LAUNCH DATE: January 28, 2022
END DATE: February 21, 2022 (Family Day)
- Post a photo or video eating a beet (raw, cooked, canned, juiced…) to social media & link with Food4Kids Hamilton and the HPFFA & include #eatAbeet in the post
- Donate $25 to Food4Kids Hamilton (or whatever you can)
- Challenge others to participate & donate
THE GOAL: To raise $50,000 for Food4Kids Hamilton
HAMILTON SCHOOL #eatAbeet CONTEST
The HPFFA will be awarding prizes to the top 3 #eatAbeet photo or video submissions from students and/or teachers/administrators from Hamilton schools.
- $3,000 for 1st, $2,000 for 2nd and $1,000 for 3rd place
- Prize money must be allocated by the winning submitter to a school class, program, project, division, team, club, association, etc.
- Submissions must be posted to social media by Monday, February 14 & linked with Food4Kids Hamilton, HPFFA and use #eatAbeet. Submissions must also be uploaded to the special Food4Kids Hamilton #eatAbeet portal.
- Submissions will be judged based on:
- Positive messaging
- Safe and responsible posts as per Covid rules
- Winners of the Hamilton School #eatAbeet Contest will be announced on February 22.
FOOD4KIDS HAMILTON – the reason for #eatAbeet
Food4Kids Hamilton provides packages of nutritious food for 1350 elementary and secondary school students with little or no access to food during the weekend/ summer months. The Food4Kids Hamilton Weekends Without Hunger program operates within 72 schools in Hamilton, and with the help of school staff, students are referred for enrolment in the program. Through a team of volunteers, Food4Kids Hamilton packs individual food bags every week and delivers directly to schools before each weekend. Visit www.food4kidshamilton.ca to learn more about all the good Food4Kids does for youth in Hamilton.
Help us BEET childhood hunger in Hamilton.