In order to fill the vacancies created by moving Station 24 to a 24/7 service and the first part of the filling of Station 20, a new transfer policy has been created. It is important for all Suppression Members to familiarize themselves with the new policy and make your decision in the appropriate timeframes. Below is the policy as set down by Administration in consultation with the Association.
Outlined is the two-phase process that will be followed to determine the movement of personnel to facilitate the staffing of one full-time apparatus at Station 24 Waterdown, an interim two-person emergency response vehicle for Station 20 that will operate out of Station 3 and filling of the resulting vacancies and transfers required to place the 29 recruits at Stations 1, 6, 9, 11 and 8.
The filling of the required positions at:
Station 24 – four (4) Captains and sixteen (16) firefighters.
Station 3/20 – four (4) Captains and four (4) firefighters.
- The personnel who are currently assigned to Station 24 on Platoons E and F will be given the opportunity to indicate their desire to stay at Station 24. If their desire is to stay, they will be required to submit a Transfer Request Form indicating the Platoon that they would like to be assigned to. The current Station 24 personnel will be distributed over the four (4) platoons in order to maintain operational effectiveness.
- Any personnel (job wide) interested in transferring to Station 24 or the positions for Station 3/20 are to state their intention to transfer by submitting a Transfer Request Form to identify the location and the Platoon that they would like to be assigned to.
- The available positions for both locations will be filled based on the following: Captain positions by seniority in the rank and Firefighter positions by job seniority.
- In the event that there are not enough people interested in moving into one of the remaining open positions for Station 24 and Station 3/20, Management will fill the positions based on reverse seniority in the rank or job seniority, respecting an appropriate blend of rank to meet operational effectiveness and safety.
- Personnel who are transferred during this process to Station 3/20 to staff the two-person emergency response vehicle will be automatically transferred to Station 20 once the station is open.
- Any personnel currently assigned to Station 3 who are interested in a position at Station 3/20 will need to apply using the process identified above.
- Given the Officer vacancies resulting from the above process, the number of Officers required to fill the vacancies will be identified from the current promotional list and will be assigned to a corresponding Platoon.
- Recruits will be assigned to a Platoon.
- The revised Platoon lists will then be created for the holiday draw.
Phase One will take place between October 4, 2007 and noon (12:00 p.m.) on October 18, 2007. All Transfer Request Forms must to be sent to my attention via fax (905) 546-3344 or personally delivered to Fire Administration, 2nd floor, 55 King William St. E-mails will not be accepted. Personnel wanting an acknowledgment of receipt are to indicate on the Transfer Request Form a phone number where they can be reached.
Once Phase One is completed, the vacancies resulting from the above transfers will be identified and the following process will take place:
- An All Personnel Notice will be sent out identifying vacancies resulting from Phase One as well as identifying the number of spots required at Stations 1, 6, 9, 11 and 8 by Platoon in order to accommodate the recruit class of 2007.
- On a Platoon basis, personnel will be given the opportunity to identify their interest in transferring into one of the vacancies. The available positions within the Platoon will be filled based on the following: Captain positions by seniority in the rank and Firefighter positions by job seniority.
- In the event that not enough people volunteer to be transferred to accommodate the recruits, Management will identify the personnel in Stations 1, 6, 9, 11 and 8 that will be moved based on reverse seniority and the vacancy that they will be filling, respecting an appropriate blend of rank to meet operational effectiveness and safety.
All transfers from Phase One and Phase Two will take effect as of January 1, 2008. The recruits will be assigned to a station upon graduation in early December 2007.